Introduction -Who is the course for?
The 11+ Common Entrance/Key stage 3/Pre-IGCSE in French course is delivered live online and suitable to complete beginners in French. Previous experience of the subject is not necessary although students who have already studied French at primary level will have a net advantage.
The course covers years 7 to 9 programmes of study. It provides basic French knowledge and skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing needed to help you progress to French courses at GCSE/IGCSE level.
For more details on the KS3 French course, click on the links below:
11+ Common Entrance/KS3/Pre-IGCSE Options offered
These are the different 11+ Common Entrance/KS3/ Pre- IGCSE course options offered depending on whether you want to do the course over two or three years. The first two options are relevant to beginner students who have done very little French or who have not followed a structured French course at KS3 level.
Pre-IGCSE in French Course Over Two years
This KS3/Pre- IGCSE in French Course which is condensed into two years and is suitable to students who would like to move onto IGCSE very quickly after just two years of studying French. Click here to find out more…
Pre-IGCSE in French Course over three years
This package offers students the possibility to complete each year one step of the KS3 programme of study. Students have one weekly hour of tutorial over 6 terms.
- The Year 7 French is ideal for younger beginners and enables students to complete their study from scratch over three years.
- The Year 8 French is suitable for students who†have completed the year 7 in French (or are of similar ability) or who have already covered or are confident with the year 7 learning objectives (1 hour per week).
- The year 9 French is suitable for students who have already done the year 7 and 8 French or who have already covered or are confident with the year 8 learning objectives (1 hour per week)
- The 11+ Common Entrance/KS3 French course is ran on a weekly basis for one, two or three hours a week
- Covers the National Curriculum for years 7 to 9 known as KS3 French
- Is especially designed for home educated learners
- Also suitable for students who are not taught French in their school
- Suitable also to students who are already studying French at school or elsewhere but who want to improve
- Follows through to the GCSE/International GCSE in French and then A-level or IB in French.
The 11+ Common Entrance/KS3 French course is divided into 3 different stages covering years 7, 8 and 9 learning objectives in French. We are able to provide French live tutoring in all three stages of the KS3 French programme.
Year 7 course content
Year 8 course content
Year 9 course content
Distance and Live Online course
The 11+ Common Entrance/KS3 French course is such that it can be accessed by distance learners. The course is†handled through our online platform and students are able to interact with their tutor and other students in the same way as in any other normal classroom. To do so, they either talk on the microphone or write their message in the chat box. Homework is†set and marked on a weekly basis. Homework will always be due three†days before the next tutorial which gives the tutor enough time to mark it and give it back to the students by the tutorial day.
The year 7 and 8 courses also include 10 Tutor Marked Assignments that need to be completed by the students and sent out/emailed to be marked. The year 9 includes 7 Tutor marked Assignments.
Each KS3 year (Year 7, 8 or 9) has 30 hours of live tuition in the year. Students opting for the private tuition program can start and finish their course anytime in the year. They could also schedule their individual lessons at a time suitable to them. The course usually starts in September for students enrolled on the group course though recordings of sessions missed could be provided to†late applicants. The 2017-2018 teaching calendar starts on 11th September 2017 to end on 02nd July 2018.
Our Group courses timetable
8:30 - 10:10
(From 10:00 - 11:00)
10:20 - 12:00
12:15 - 13:15
15:05 - 17:15
18:00 - 19:00
Yr 9 after school
Yr 7 after school
Supporting material for the 11+/KS3 French course
The 11+ Common Entrance/Key stage 3 French course is supported by the following essential text.
- The year 7 students will need the So you really want to Learn French Book 1
- The year 8 students will need the So you really want to Learn French Book 2
- The year 9 students will need the So you really want to Learn French book 3
Students will also need to have access to the internet. Other technical requirements can be found here
The Live Online 11+ Common Entrance/KS3 French ¬†for the¬†Year 7, year 8 or year 9 group course delivered over 1 hour a week costs ¬£90 a term per student enrolled on a group course. Students enrolled on a private tuition program must refer to our¬†private tuition rates.
We offer a facilitated payment option that enables you to pay your tuition fees monthly in advance. This option requires that you pay each year 9 monthly automatic payments of ¬£45 each. Please contact us, if you would be interested in this option.
Click here for the details of the total course fees for each KS3 course.
By the end of the course, students should be in a good position to tackle the GCSE or IGCSE French course (Key Stage 4).
Credit Image: Tina Phillips
¬ę The online French has been excellent and (‚Ä¶) we have really valued the sessions. Eleanor’s French has really come on over the past few months thanks to the class. Many thanks for all your support and excellent teaching!¬Ľ -Deborah (parent)